Monday, November 18, 2013

I see the light...

I think I was 13 or 14 when the words "depression" and "anxiety" came out.  There was a family history of both, mix that with a mess of female teenage hormones and there I was. I put on a pretty good front for years.  I went to school and got good grades.  I worked hard at my job, sometimes taking on 2 or 3 jobs at a time. I had a social life, although it wasn't terribly exciting.  No one knew that most days I felt like I was suffocating in an all consuming darkness that I couldn't fight my way out of.

In my early 20's I hit my rock bottom.  I took some pills, not because I wanted to die but because I wanted to shut off the world for a while.  I slept for a couple of days and when I woke up I knew I was in trouble.  I checked into an outpatient treatment program.  They taught me coping skills and prescribed anti-depressants.  I felt numb most of the time.

A couple of years later a friend of mine proposed to me.  We had never had a romantic relationship before. More the kind of stand-in-date type when you have have an awkward family function or wedding to go and want a friendly face there kind of relationship.  He had just graduated from Navy boot camp and I think more than anything he was scared and wanted a friendly face with him. I was naive enough to think this was the only way someone was ever going to love me.  Our marriage was in shambles before it started.  He was emotionally abusive and I was manipulative. It lasted 10 months before I had the courage to go home.

The word "divorce" made me feel used up, tainted, good for nothing.  The darkness was threatening to take me down once again.  I started going to church.  I started clinging to Jesus as my last hope, hope to see the light again.  I met a woman at church.  Divorced. Remarried. Happy.  She taught me what it was to have God make you new again and told me that I wasn't forever tainted by my past and my mistakes.

Then I met my husband.  He showed me, everyday, what unconditional love looks like.  He accepted me and all my imperfection and loved me right where I was.  The darkness disappeared and I could feel the light on my face.

Somewhere after the birth of our first daughter the joy started to slip away.  I started to close in on myself.  Even though I had Jesus in my life now, a doting husband and a precious baby, it wasn't enough anymore.  We struggled financially, we had a miscarriage and then two more baby girls back to back.  And somewhere along the way I lost myself in the gloom again.

I found myself admitting to my husband that I was having thoughts of taking my life.  I firmly believed that I would not act on them but even having them there scared me.  So I made a choice.

I chose to seek Jesus out and ask for His help.  I chose to prioritize my marriage. I chose to look at my kids in awe.  I chose to change my lifestyle and get healthy.  I sought out wisdom from doctors and through homeopathy. I surrounded myself with my friends and my family.  I chose to claw my way back out out of the blackness that was pinning me down.

A few months ago it was like the fog lifted and the light on my face never felt so good. I choose, everyday, to overcome instead of being overcome.

Do I think I'm "cured"? Probably not.  But I know now with Holy Spirit empowered determination, trust and love, I can do just about anything.


Oh, no more sorrow, no more pain
No more darkness weighing down on me
No longer blind now I can see
Forever light, Forever free


2 comments:

  1. Saying these things publicly really can be so scary, but it's so good. So many people relate.

    When I admitted I had a drinking problem, a friend wrote to me and said, "Shame is like mold, it can only grow in the dark." And it's so true. When we have a little light shed on us and we can walk to that light and keep walking and talking and talking, there is no shame. It's so so good.

    I'm so glad for you. You're amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Meagen! I am so happy for you. I saw the most recent family pics posted on fb a few days ago and I thought to myself....Wow she looks amazing and amazingly happy! I can relate to having problems like you have mentioned. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Every day is a new opportunity! Thank you for having the courage to share. I think you are amazing:)

    ReplyDelete