Sunday, May 25, 2014

You are an overcomer...

I had some seriously strange dreams last night but the one had me jumping out of bed and reaching for my Bible was one in which God was whispering "Don't forget about me."  I really don't remember what happened before that or why God was telling me this but it was enough to get me moving out of bed in a hurry.

I settled on the couch with my Bible, devotional, journal and a cup of coffee anxious to hear what God had for me this morning.  My devotional was on toxic thoughts and how to hold our own thoughts accountable. The devotional quoted several verses from Philippians chapter 4 so this was the next logical place to go. I'm going to paraphrase and interpret, but you can find the verses in their entirety here.

My brothers and sisters, whom I love and long for, my joy and my crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way:
Did you catch that? Whom God loves and longs for, His joy and His crown. I love that!  And that's you and that's me!

Rejoice in the Lord always. 
ALWAYS. Even when it's hard. God uses everything for His glory, even the hard stuff.

The Lord is near.
We don't know how or when or how. But we do know He has promised to come back for us.

Do not be anxious about anything. In every situation, pray, give thanks and then present your requests to God.
Oh, sometimes this is hard because it is so easy to be anxious. But God has asked us to take a deep breath...and talk to Him.

And God's peace, which we can not understand will guard your hearts and minds.
That's a promise right there for you and for me.

Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.
Often "stinkin' thinkin'" (discouraging thoughts and temptations) come unannounced. But we can make the conscious choice to contemplate good things.  Reading uplifting verses and meditating on them, making a list of God's attributes, counting our blessings-these things can get our thinking back on track.

Whatever you have learned or heard or seen from Me - put in to practice.
Now go. Do what God has asked you to do. Imitate Him. Follow His instructions.

And the God of peace will be with you.
There's another promise friends. He's going with you.

And then let's back up to Philippians 3:16 ...Only let us live up to what we have already attained. Knowing these things is simply not enough, we are to emulate what we see in Jesus.

Friends, you are not captive to whoever it is you think you are. You are loved and longed for. You are His joy and His crown. You are an Overcomer.

Just take a breath, don't forget
Hang on to His promises
He wants you to know


No comments:

Post a Comment