Monday, May 19, 2014

Imperfect Perfection...

I am human. I make mistakes. I stumble. I fall. I stray. I take the wrong path. But God is working in me. He is making me complete, not as in finished but as in prepared to go on from here. And it hurts. The sharpening and transforming and changing. But I will let Him do what He needs to, no matter how painful because when His work is finished in me, it will all be worth it and I will finally be perfect.

The definition of perfection is being "the state of being free from flaw or defect". We are all so far from perfection in our humanness. However, we were made in perfection by the Creator of the universe. So God breathed life into Adam and Eve. When they opened their eyes, the first thing they ever saw was God's face. And when God saw them he was like a new dad. "You look like me," he said. "You're the most beautiful thing I've ever made!" God loved them with all of his heart. And they were lovely because he loved them. And Adam and Eve joined in the song of the stars and the streams and the wind in the trees, the wonderful song of love to the one who made them.Their hearts were filled with happiness. And nothing ever made them sad or lonely or sick or afraid.  God looked at everything he had made. "Perfect!" he said. And it was. {The Jesus Storybook Bible} When God looks at you, He sees the perfection of your imperfections. 

God's given you a unique story that is yours alone.  He has placed you at a specific place in time that will bring Him glory. And whatever God is bringing you through at this very moment is going to be the testimony that brings somebody else through.   And wherever you are going, He has already been there, paving the way for you.

God loves you unconditionally, as you are and not as you should be,
because nobody is as they should be.  ~ Brennan Manning

And because we are flawed, living in a fallen world God extends us grace.  Salvation. A fresh start. Our mistakes now serve a purpose instead of serving as shame. We are a work in progress.  

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made PERFECT in weakness.
2 Corinthians 12:9

You are perfect. You are loved.

'I love you', says the Lord. 'I see you, and I know you, and I love you. Period.
I know stuff about you that you don't even think I know, and yet I love you. 
I know the things you are hiding, and yet I love you.
I love you so much that even what I know about you didn't stop me from sending Jesus to the cross to die for you. In fact, the very fact that you are suffering is why Jesus went to the cross. To redeem you. My love is not an equation, something you have to earn or barter for. 
I love you-I bless you in the midst of your sin. 
Not to condone it, but to remind you of the glorious reunion that awaits when you come to me.
My blessings are to remind you of my great love and turn you into my arms. 
You cannot repay My love or My grace. You can only rejoice in it.
Do not let circumstances define God's love for you. He loves you.Period.'
{taken from Susan May Warren's "You Don't Know Me"}

Cease striving and longing for worldly perfection. Stop expecting perfection from imperfect people. Instead, extend grace and embrace your imperfect perfection.






No comments:

Post a Comment