Sunday, December 1, 2013

Rejoice...

For the last several months I have had this nagging cough.  The kind that keeps you awake at night but doesn't bother you during the day so you forget all about it.  I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of the cough but it continues to linger.

Last week the cough sparked a mighty asthma attack. One that forced me to abandon my cart at Wal-mart and go home (being me, I did return everything that I had placed in my cart to it's proper place on the shelf before ditching the cart).  I laid on the living room floor wondering at what point I would ask my husband to take me to the ER.  He meanwhile was googling ways to help me breathe.  He came across a homeopathic remedy that was said to help and asked if it was one I had on hand.  It just so happened to be the same one a friend had dropped off that afternoon.  I took and with in minutes I was breathing again. Divine intervention.

The next morning I woke up feeling like I had swallowed razor blades and so completely wiped out from the lack of sleep and the latest attack. My husband told me enough was enough and urged me to go and get some chest x-rays.  As I waiting for the doc to take a look at them I didn't know how to pray.  Let there be something wrong so that the doctor can treat me and the cough will go away? Let everything be okay but, Lord, please take the cough away?  The chest x-rays were clear.  However the doctor did inform me I had both a sinus infection and an ear infection.  My sinuses and my ear weren't even bothering me! Why Lord? Why is it always something?

About an hour after my 6 year old came home from school that day I noticed what looked like a rash appearing on her face.  As the evening progressed hives started to spread all over body. Early the next morning I heard her calling for me.  I bolted out of bed to find her throwing up. When she stood up she started to cry and panic saying everything had gone black and she couldn't see.  We headed to the ER.  The doc was stumped as to what was causing the hives that were continuing to get worse but said it wasn't uncommon not to know the cause.  That night the hives continue to spread until she was covered from her head to her toes.  My anxiety was through the roof.  Why God, why?

As I tucked Eva in bed that night I saw that she had copied a bible verse and it hung it on her closet door.



But Lord, I am so miserable and so tired!  I am worried about my little girl and tomorrow is Thanksgiving! You want me to Rejoice?!?!

I was expressing my irritation to my husband about how there was "always something".  His reply made me think.  He said that maybe it was to keep me humble and dependent on God, like the thorn in Paul's side.

Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in my weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  2 Corinthians 12:7b-10

So I will rejoice for this cough in my chest and know that God's power is being made perfect in my weakness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment