Sunday, January 12, 2014

Grace...

I've been mulling over the word grace for the last few days.  Grace is defined as God's unmerited favor.  Basically, being loved when we are unlovable.

One of my favorite lyrics comes from David Crowder's How He Loves, it says 'if His grace is an ocean, we're all sinking'. My husband and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon.  Our day at sea we got up early and perched ourselves on the rail to watch the sun rise out of the ocean.  I remember feeling so small and insignificant.  I also remember my husband telling me how God created that perfect and spectacular sunrise just for us.  Maybe he was just trying to be romantic but we both knew it was true.

Sometimes it's hard to wrap my head around it.  That God loves me as big as the ocean felt that day, stretching out endlessly in every direction.  After all, who am I to deserve this great big love when most days I feel so unlovable?

And that's just it. I don't deserve it and I never will.  There isn't a thing I can do to earn God's favor and yet He keeps lavishing me in His love.  I love how the Message portrays this in Isaiah 43:1-7 (paraphrased):

But now, God's message,
the God who made you in the first place,
the One who got you started:
"Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you.
I've called your name. You're mine.
When you're in over you're head, I'll be there with you.
When you are in rough waters, you will not go down.
When you're between a rock and a hard place-
it won't be a dead end-
because I am God, your personal God,
the Holy of Israel, your Savior.
I paid a huge price for you:
all of Egypt with rich Cush and Seba thrown in!
That's how much you mean to me!
That's how much I love you!
I'd sell off the whole world to get you back,
trade the creation just for you.
So don't be afraid: I'm with you.
I'm round up all your scattered children,
pull them in from the east and the west.
I'll send orders north and south:
'Send them back.
Return my sons from distant lands,
my daughters from faraway places.
I want them back, every last one who bears my name,
every man, woman and child
whom I created for My glory,
yes, personally formed and made each one.'"

We sang a new song at church today. I've got an affinity for songs that can make you feel and this one tied together all the things I was thinking about grace.  It said "your grace abounds in deepest waters, your sovereign hand will be my guide, where feet may fail and fear surrounds me, you've never failed and you won't start now, so I will call upon Your name, and keep my eyes above the waves, when oceans rise, I will rest in your embrace, for I am Yours and You are mine". 

For I am Yours and You are mine...



No comments:

Post a Comment