Saturday, May 16, 2015

When it rains, it pours...literally.

I just gotta say that I am so in awe of how big and caring and amazing our God is. We were huddled in the bathroom in the basement as the sirens went off tonight.  My oldest was having a panic attack and quite frankly scaring her little sisters. So we prayed and prayed and prayed until the sirens quit.

When we got the all clear and went into our bedroom we discovered inches of water on our bedroom floor.  We quickly went through every towel in the house and our mini shop vac was lasting all of 2 minutes before it was full. And our own personal waterfall just kept flowing. I was frustrated and angry and also a little anxiety ridden so I asked a couple of friends to pray.

As they were responding to my message with their prayers and encouragement my parents and another friend showed up with big shop vacs.  Apparently it was no easy task to get her due to all the flooded streets. But here they were, in my bedroom, sucking up our mess.

As they were working on my drenched carpet my oldest noticed more water in the storage room.  I wanted to cry. And then another friend walked through the door with a laundry basket of towels and started mopping up the mess too.

I had already started washing towels and as I went to throw them in the dryer I noticed it didn't sound quite right. I had my dad investigate and guess what? The belt broke on the dryer!  Now I was just mad. And I decided right then and there that Satan wasn't going to win this one.  I wasn't going to cry or scream or throw a pity party. I was going to stand in awe of what God was doing.

My mom and another friend quickly offered to wash and dry our towels and they were whisked away. My dad promised to fix the dryer tomorrow. The water (16 gallons worth) was sucked out of the carpet and fans and dehumidifiers set on high speed.  All the while  friends called and texted and asked how they could help too.

My girls were finally settled down for bed and here I sit, completely humbled and in incredible awe of our God.

I had no idea what God had in mind when I read today's Jesus Calling devotion:

I AM YOUR LORD!Seek Me as a Friend and Lover of your soul, but remember that I am also the Kind of kings-sovereign over all. You can make some plans as you gaze into the day that stretches out before you. But you need to hold those plans tentatively, anticipating that I may have other ideas. The most important thing to determine is what to do right now. Instead of scanning the horizon of your life, looking for things that need to be done, concentrate on the task before you and the One who never leaves your side. Let everything else fade into the background. This will unclutter your mind, allowing Me to occupy more and more of your consciousness.
Trust Me to show you what to do when you have finished what you are doing now. I will guide you step by step as you bend your will to Mine. Thus you stay close to Me on the path of Peace.

God cares when we're scared. And He cares about our messes. And He's big enough to handle a little water (or 4" in the span of 45 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment