Sunday, November 9, 2014

Progress, not perfection...becoming informed.

But really, what do you eat?

I get this questions a lot. I feel I should tell you upfront I don't enjoy cooking and I'm not very good at it.  But I've always loved to eat.  And there lies the problem.  I realized I was eating because I enjoyed it, I wanted it and because I could.

I decided I had to change the way I thought about food. I had to start thinking about it as fueling my body with the things it needs in order to take care of it.  It became more of a stewardship issue than a health issue.  I realized I had to eat to live and not live to eat, and that for me was huge.

Because of our change in thinking our diet has become pretty routine.  We've found a few tried and true things that a) taste good and b) are good for us and we tend to stick with those.  People also ask a lot it it gets boring and sometimes, sure, it does.  But when I remember these things satisfy me and make me feel good it doesn't feel like much of a sacrifice.

When I started this journey, I didn't give anything up initially. I did cut some things way back, mainly sugar and carbs. I had a serious addiction to Diet Mountain Dew  at the time but I slowly cut back and weaned myself off. It took months for the cravings to go away. Sometimes, usually at the most random times, I still have a craving for one. A few months ago I gave in to one of those cravings and let me tell you, it was disgusting. Your body will begin to crave what you put it in it.


I also used to be one of those people who couldn't stand to drink water. When I gave up my soda I switched to the carbonated flavored water but soon that became to sweet.  I switched to the Crystal Light packets that you add in to your water bottle but before long that became to sweet too. I challenged myself to drink 8 cups of plain old water a day; I'm not a very competitive person, but I am a determined one. It didn't take long before all I really wanted to drink was water. And here's a fun fact: research shows that starting your day by drinking 16 ounces of water reduces calorie intake by up to 25%.

So much of what I've learned is that when it comes to changing your habits, changing your lifestyle, it's mind over matter. It's making the choice and doing it. It's about progress, not perfection.

When it came to looking at what I was eating I mainly focused on tracking my calorie intake. Calorie counting apps like My Fitness Pal make it easy to also see the amount of fat, sugar, fiber and protein you are taking in. Talking to a doctor or dietitian can be a good way to start setting goals in how many calories you should be taking in. Once you know how many calories you should be eating, become informed. Start reading your labels and learn about correct portion sizes. Research ways to make your favorite recipes healthier or find some new ones you'd like to try. Look at the nutritional data of the menus for your favorite restaurants and determine in advance what you will eat when you go out.

Find more information on how to
stop binge eating here.
Learn what your trigger foods are; the ones that you have the strongest craving for or the ones you can't stop eating once you've started are a good place to start. For me there were trigger foods that I had to get rid of all together, at least for a time.  For me chocolate is an issue. If it's in the house, I will eat it.  And if I indulge in a little, the cravings for more come at me full force. There are some trigger foods, like pizza that I can allow myself to eat again with moderation, but chocolate I must eat with caution.

Also think about what is triggering you to eat. Are you an emotional eater that looks to food to fill up the hurt or loneliness your feeling?  Do you greet food like an old friend when you're stressed and approaching a deadline? Maybe it's when you're bored or when you're mindlessly watching tv? Knowing what your triggers are is the first step to conquering them. And the best way to conquer them is to saturate yourself in truth. And the truth is "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own, you were bought with a price. Therefore, honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19

So what do I eat?

  • Breakfast usually consists of eggs with ham and peppers topped with a bit of salsa; or a bowl of oatmeal. I used to detest oatmeal until I came across The Oatmeal Artist's blog. She makes it sound and look so delicious I had to try it again. Plus oatmeal is full of fiber which is full of health benefits and helps you to feel full. I found some recipes my family loves (and a few we don't), our favorites are the  Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal and the Blueberry Muffin Baked Oatmeal.
  • Lunch is mostly likely a large salad. There are so many combinations that it doesn't often get boring. Add some protein and a salad is quite filling.  Beware of cheese and dressings because this is where you will find most of your calories.  Make sure to measure out your serving sizes with these.  Salsa is another good option in place of your dressing.  Try adding fruit or some crushed pretzels for crunch. The sky is the limit here!
  • Snacks generally consist of fruit or raw veggies.
  • Supper tends to be some kind of meat (we eat a lot of beef because it's what happens to be in the freezer) and vegetables. We try to limit meals with pasta, rice or bread to once a week.
  • I do drink some coffee in the mornings but otherwise stick to water the rest of the day.  Staying hydrated is so beneficial to your body but can also help curb cravings during the day.
This is what has worked for me and my husband but everyone is different and you need to find what works for you and what you can live with.  The most important thing you can do is to become informed about what your body needs and what you're putting into it.











No comments:

Post a Comment