Friday, October 24, 2014

My joy is in her...

I had a few minutes of quiet this morning so I decided to open up my bible.  I'm not sure what prompted me to turn to Isaiah but there's where I went. So I was drinking my coffee and reading along when this verse made me stop in my tracks.

As a young man marries a young woman,
so will your Builder marry you;
as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride,
so will God rejoice over you.
Isaiah 62:5

It immediately brought these pictures to mind. The moment when Dana and I first saw each other before we were married.


As I was recalling our wedding day I remembered nothing had gone right that morning. My hairdresser was late and hungover. I couldn't find my shoes. And just before I was headed out to see my groom the zipper broke on my dress and I had to be sewn in. 

But even with all the mishaps of the morning I wasn't the least bit anxious or nervous. I was busting at the seams (or zippers apparently) with excitement and joy!  I couldn't wait to get out there, to where my groom was waiting for me. I was delighted to be his bride and couldn't wait for our life together to begin. 

I asked my husband for his take on that day and he said "I wasn't anxious, I was excitedly waiting and praying for our marriage, that it would be one that honored God. I was full of joy when I finally saw you. I was excited for a new beginning, standing next to my best friend." {He still makes me swoon.}

So I was recalling all of this extreme joy and excitement as I read the verse again.

As a young man marries a young woman,
so will your Builder marry you;
as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride,
so will God rejoice over you.
Isaiah 62:5

And it hit me that those feelings I had that day, the moments of zipper busting bliss, are how God feels about me. He wants to be our bridegroom and He rejoices over us.  

And then I had to back up a little to Isaiah 62:4

You will no longer be called "Left Alone."
Your land will no longer be called "Forgotten."
But you will be called "My joy is in her,"
and your land "Married."
For the Lord finds joy in you,
and to Him your land will be married.

The note in my bible says: How can land be Married? This is figurative. Since marriage was considered a blessing, this was a picture of God's blessings on his people who lived in the land.

When I married my husband I was no longer alone. We were one; a team.  And God tells me the same with Him. I am not alone or forgotten. He gave me a new name, "My joy is in her." And friends, this is your name too. Whatever the mishaps, troubles or difficulties you have going on in your life, you are not alone. You are not forgotten. He is blessing you. Your bridegroom finds great joy and rejoices over you. You, my friend, are His.

No comments:

Post a Comment