Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Be Angry...

Does anyone else feel like summer flies by at warp speed? I feel like there just aren't enough hours these days to do all the things I would like to do and I confess I have been slacking on spending time in the word and reading my devotional (and obviously my blog writing has suffered as well).  That's why I'm still reading through Lysa TerKeurst's Unglued.  It's a 60 day devotional that I've been working on for six months now.  I made some remark as to how pathetic I was for it to have taken me so long to my husband and he graciously reminded me that the Lord was giving me what I need to hear, when I need to hear it.  My husband was of course right, and I love him for reminding me.

So this morning I got settled with my coffee, dusted off my devotional, pen poised over my journal ready for whatever God had to share with me today.The verse immediately grabbed my attention: Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not give the devil an opportunity. Ephesians 4:26-27

Did the Bible really just say be angry? I've heard the "do not let the sun go down on your anger" quoted hundreds of times, but I never really caught the first part.  I think so often we try to repress our emotions, unless of course they convey joy or happiness.  But God created us with a whole slew of emotions, all of which are okay.  However, we have to keep this "be angry" in context with the rest of the verse; God says "and yet do not sin". The feeling is okay, its the acting (or reacting) on the feeling that we need to keep in check.

As I read further Lysa TerKeurst describes a scene where the pizza delivery guy shows up to her home with only half of her order.  Now let me pause right there and point out to all the women who have joined me in going through Made to Crave, Lysa TerKeurst just admitted to ordering pizza.  And I doubt it was some magic zero carb, zero calorie pizza.  But I also doubt it's a weekly occurrence in her house; everything in moderation.

Moving on, so the pizza guy shows up with half of her order, apologizes and offers to be back in 20 minutes with the other half of her order.  She could have gotten mad and demanded a discount or coupons but instead she offered him grace and told him that was okay.  Her husband made the remark that he wished he could receive that kind of grace as well.  Ouch.

She went on to say how it's all to easy to give grace to someone who is a stranger, someone who our feelings are completely neutral towards.  And yet when it comes to those closest to us we spew on them.  TerKeurst describes it as having "accumulated aggravations" which lead to having "accumulated impact".

When we are close to someone and spend significant time with them it's easy to collect little annoyances.  And sure one little comment or disappointment or hurt doesn't seem such a big deal at the time but if we hang on to them  they accumulate and we eventually become angry.  While feeling angry and even hurt or disappointed is okay, we need to be so careful to not act on our anger or to spew or come unglued. Why?

Verse 27 "and do not give the devil an opportunity." Satan would love nothing better than to see you let the sun go down on your anger.  To see you explode all over the people you love.  Because then he wins.

Last night a group of ladies and I were going through our Made to Crave study when this question came up: "Is there someone in your life that for whatever reason you find it difficult to spend time with?"  We all have them but it's a convicting question.  It went on further to ask, "What if we looked at this person through a lens of compassion? What hurts or hardships does this person have?" And then the dreaded "What act of kindness could you do for this person this week?"

Often times the people that immediately come to mind when these questions are asked are people who have hurt us and make us angry.  People who we'd be perfectly content to let the sun go down on our anger for.  But instead of giving Satan an opportunity what if stopped collecting aggravations and  instead offered up grace like Lysa did for the pizza delivery guy.

Father God,
Thank you for the love and grace you lavishly give us.  Help us to live lives full of grace and show love to those closest to us as well as to those who we find difficult.  Help us to let go of the things that hurt us, disappoint us and make us angry.  We don't want to give Satan any opportunity.
In Jesus holy and precious name,
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I just wanted to pop by from Just Write Tuesdays, and say that I really enjoyed your post. You are so right, that the devil would love nothing more than for the sun to set on our anger! You gave me some perspective this morning - thanks for that! Blessings. consideringgrace.com

    ReplyDelete